Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

MCO's Taco Disks {Copycat Taco Bell Crunchwrap Recipe}

I really try to consider myself to be a healthy eater and although we do sometimes find ourselves 'cheating', I am proud to say that I rarely eat fast food. In fact, up until this pregnancy I can't tell you the last time I actually ate fast food (aside from In N Out burger, but I totally don't count that as fast food!). Baby #2 has had me craving all kinds of fast food from McDonald's to Taco Bell. Although I try hard to fight the cravings, I broke down not to long ago and hit the Taco Bell drive through for an old high school favorite - the Crunchwrap Supreme.

Being that this splurge was several weeks ago and I got the craving out of my system, I hadn't thought about eating another Crunchwrap until yesterday after I came across an Instagram photo that stirred up all kinds of hunger in my belly. My friend Jessica (you may remember her post on Baked Pumpkin Seeds last October) had been inspired by Pinterest into making her own Crunchwrap and when I saw it, I immediately asked for the recipe. Unfortunately the pin she came across had linked to spam, so with her permission I tweaked the recipe that she came up with and created a variation of my own!

With that, I present to you, MCO's Taco Disks!

Making your Taco Disks is not only simple, but pretty fun as well! It's the perfect meal for a quick dinner during the week or a fun weekend cooking project with the kids (if you let them do their own!). You can also add in additional items depending on what sounds good to you! There is so much variation in this recipe that no two Taco Disks have to be the same. 


What You Need:

-Extra Large or Jumbo Tortillas
-Tostada Shells
-Ground Beef
-Taco Seasoning
-Refried Beans
-Nacho Cheese
-Shredded Lettuce
-Shredded Cheese

Optional Additives: 

-Sour Cream
-Diced Tomato
-Sliced Avocado
-Chopped Green Onion
-Taco Sauce


What You Need To Do:

Cook the ground beef thoroughly, then add taco seasoning per the directions on the packet. In a separate saucepan, heat your refried beans on the stove top (I like to add to add a little milk to give it a creamier texture). Lay a tortilla out on a plate and spread a thin layer of refried beans on top of it - try to do approximately the size of the tostada shell. Add a dollop of nacho cheese and spread evenly across the beans. Next place a tostada shell down and add a layer of shredded cheese. Add thin layers of any other additives you choose to add, then top with a thin layer of ground beef and a thin layer of lettuce. Fold your tortilla around the tostada and layers in a circular manner to create the disk shape. 

Note: The key to Taco Disks are thin layers!

Place your Taco Disk in a skillet over medium heat and allow each side to brown. I added a little butter to the pan prior to browning so that it would crisp up a bit more! When you flip the 'open' side, be careful! Rushing this process may cause your Taco Disk to open and spill the contents into the skillet (trust me, that's not fun!).


Serve with a side of homemade salsa or top with some extra cheese and sour cream! I chose to eat mine with a little bit of salsa to the side and pick it up with my hands to eat, whereas Mr. Hunky topped his with salsa and more cheese and ate it with a fork. There's no wrong way to eat a Taco Disk!


I hope you and your family enjoy this dish as much as we did! I loved it so much I don't think I'll ever be tempted to stop at the drive through again (woohoo!!).


P.S. Warning to all of my pregnant ladies, this may cause some wicked heartburn, but in my opinion it is sooooooo worth it!




6 comments:

  1. Ermagherd...I love crunchwraps, but we never get Taco Bell any more because it always makes us feel yucky. (Imagine that?) Definitely going to try these some time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will LOVE these then! They are so yummy, I'm already planning on making them again next week lol.

      Delete
  2. This is my husband favorite food. I'm sure he'll be ever grateful when I make this this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made these before - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete