Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

EB & Baby Easton

October 25- October 31st is Epidermolysis Bullosa Awareness Week. EB is a rare genetic skin disease that affects only 1 out of every 50,000 births. EB is a defect in the connective tissue of the skin and mucous membranes that causes the skin to be so fragile that the slightest friction, minor injury, heat, rubbing, or scratching causes severe blistering inside places such as the mouth, stomach, and esophagus as well as outside the body. The nature of the blistering leads to b
lindness, swallowing and breathing difficulties, scarring, infection, disfigurement, disability and dehydration. When infected, these blisters can cause serious as mentioned above and can turn quickly into fatal problems. 87% of babies born with one of the more severe forms of EB do not live more than 12 months. There is no cure for this horrific disease. Sufferers of EB have compared the sores with third-degree burns and they live in unthinkable pain.

I started following the story of baby Easton Friedel when he was just a newborn. A friend of mine posted his story on their Facebook page and my heart immediately shattered for this gorgeous baby boy and his family. Before seeing Baby Easton's story I had absolutely no idea what EB was, as I'm sure many of you reading this do not know as well. Unfortunately, this disease is extremely real. Baby Easton has touched my heart in an indescribable way and although I do not personally know this family, I think about them every day. Baby Easton, was well as many other children, lives in indescribable pain. Diaper changes, eating, even being held by his family, brings extreme pain and blisters to his skin. EB is a terrible disease that breaks my heart every time I look at Baby Easton's Facebook Support Page. I want everyone to know about Epidermolysis Bullosa, so I am trying to spread awareness.

This will be the first EB Awareness week that I have participated in and I want to make sure that I help spread awareness on Epidermolysis Bullosa. For the week of 10/25/12-10/31/12 my Etsy Shop This Love Is Ours Boutique will be donating 25% of all proceeds made to the Friedel Family. A total donation will be made on the morning of November 1st and I will post on Facebook a personal thank you to those who made a purchase along with a total for the donations we've raised for the Friedel family. I encourage you all to do some early holiday shopping or treat yourself to something fun in support of Baby Easton.





Please "like" his Facebook page so that you can learn more about EB and also support Baby Easton. Click HERE to go to his Facebook.




Thank you everyone who is thinking about supporting this family, I'm sure their appreciation is more than you could ever know.





No comments:

Post a Comment